Dr. Silverio Martínez-Fernández
‘Beatriz Galindo’ Distinguished Researcher
Dept. ESSI, GESSI Research Group, UPC-BarcelonaTech
UPC-Campus Nord, Omega building, room 004
c/Jordi Girona 1-3, 08034 Barcelona (Spain)
Phone: +34 93 40 54546
E-mail: silverio (dot) martinez (at) upc (dot) edu
My main current research areas are:
- Empirical software engineering.
- Big data for addressing quality requirements in rapid software development.
- Technical debt and maintainability metrics.
- Software architectures: reference architectures, architectural knowledge, service-oriented architectures.
My PhD thesis was about Reference Architectures. I designed and conducted empirical studies on:
- Software Reference Architecture related practices (e.g., goals definition, design, review, and use).
- Analysis of the Return-On-Investment (ROI) of adopting a Software Reference Architecture.
The main results were:
- Understading the Context of Software Reference Architectures in the software industry.
- Industrial evidence about the Benefits and Drawbacks of Software Reference Architectures.
- Industrial evidence about the Artifacts of Software Reference Architectures.
- REARM, a (ongoing) Reuse-Based Economic Model for Software Reference Architectures.
- Practical Experiences in Designing and Conducting Empirical Studies in Industry-Academia Collaboration.
- QuPreSS: A Reference Model To Evaluate Predictive Services.
I graduated in June of 2008 in bachelor of computer science and in September 2010 in computer science engineering by the University of Almeria, Spain (Escuela Superior de Ingeniería, Universidad de Almería). I studied the fourth year in the University of Ghent (Universiteit Gent) with an Erasmus grant (academic year 2008/2009).
I was awarded a “la Caixa” grant, for the academic year 2010/2011 at Technical University of Catalonia. During this period, I studied the Master in Computing (Information Systems’ specialization) at LSI Department in Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain.
From October 2016 to December 2019, I did my post-doc in Fraunhofer IESE, awarded with an ERCIM grant the first two years and then as an operative project manager. My scientific coordinator was Andreas Jedlitschka.
Since January 2020, I am a Distinguished Researcher as part of the Beatriz Galindo programme in the inSSIDE research group and ESSI department at UPC-BarcelonaTech.